Monday, February 14, 2011

Thank you, Lady Gaga.

I'm not normally one to thank people for stating the obvious. Not being a bigot is everyone's moral duty. But you're in a special position. You're a pop idol. Everyone is watching you and critiquing you and looking for another excuse to call you a dirty, degenerate whore.

In a situation like that, you didn't have to come out in support of me. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. But you did. You sang a few words that are considered so revolutionary, so shocking, and yet completely unnecessary by the cisgender masses. Words that I look for every day of my life and every day walk away from another commentary on GLBT persons, another discussion of gender theory or crossdressing, disappointed because once again the commenters have completely forgotten that I exist, much less that I have a place at the table of humanity.

It was just a few words. Just a few words that I constantly look for and can never find. A few words that can beat back the pain, the shame, the erasure, and for one blissful moment remind me that I am OK, and even if it never gets any better it doesn't matter because I'm a human being and I deserve to be here as much as anyone else.

I don't know why you said them, and I don't care. They were the sweetest words I've heard in a long time.

So thank you for saying them. Thank you for sending that tiny flash of sunlight into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment