Monday, May 2, 2011

So, bin Laden is dead.

How do I feel about this? Well, I'm going to tell you a story:

Some weeks ago, a friend ("Q") and I were getting into an argument with a mutual acquaintance ("F"). We'd been hanging out for a few hours, during which time F let loose a slew of ableist slurs. Q and I had both been keeping quiet to keep the peace, since F was only going to be around for a few hours - xe was just down for the weekend, lives pretty far away, and rarely visits.

Finally I couldn't take it any more and asked F to stop using the slurs. Xe became defensive, and we got into a long, drawn-out argument. Q and I spent ridiculous amounts of energy trying to explain to F why it was not okay to use these slurs, because even if xe didn't personally know anyone who was disabled, it encouraged others to use them and generally made the world a less safe place. F continued to disregard us, while at the same time goading us, asking if we were going to get violent (because anger = violence, you know) and insinuating that if we ever did xe would make us very, very sorry.

F refused to listen, and eventually got tired of listening to our criticism. Xe pulled out xir privilege and made a very rude comment to Q and me.

At this point, Q lost hir temper and slapped F (an action which I am completely against, by the way).

The next thing I knew, F had completely lost control. Xe screamed "DON'T FUCK WITH ME!" and fell on Q in a violent rage.

F is several inches taller than either Q or me. Xe is also muscular - I believe xe works out - and has martial arts training. It took both Q's and my efforts to barely restrain xem. The altercation ended after several minutes of struggle, at which point F ran to xir mother and told her that we had attacked her.

And that is the war on terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment