Thursday, June 10, 2010

Self-Taught and a College Education

Here's a fun fact about me: I'm self-taught in pretty much everything I do. Mum passed down the basics of housework, the alphabet, and some math; everything else I've dug up mainly of my own accord. Writing, in particular.

You've read stuff from people who've had high school educations in English. They suck. Half of 'em cant use punctuation correctly, half can't spell wurth a darn, half make regluar typos, and haff just dun care. (There are a lot of overlaps.) I can count on one hand the number of times I've stepped into a school building, but I have a college-ready writing level. (Y'all would be in real trouble if I ever used it.)

I was considering going to college to study English, of all things. After all, when one studies a subject one should always be willing to learn more. But seriously, do I need to do that? I can pluck images from the very world around me, transform them into words and arrange them to evoke those same images in the minds of those who read. If I wish to tell you of the pale orange sun brightening the hood of an old silver car, or a cool spring wind teasing the tops of the red-green seed grass, I can do so.

I'm thinking of studying communications instead. I can write just fine. I could learn how to explain myself better.

No comments:

Post a Comment