Thursday, June 3, 2010

An Apology

As I have mentioned, I am white (unfairly privileged peach-tone, as I prefer it). As I have mentioned, all peach-toned persons from the United States are racist, whether they mean to be or not. Having thought about myself, I've realized that I've (unintentionally) had a number of racist thoughts/perceptions through the years, and I need to apologize. By having these thoughts, I have unintentionally contributed to a system which marginalizes minority races, especially those of darker skin color, and that is unacceptable. So here is my apology.

I'm sorry for not trusting blacks and Latin Americans as implicitly as I do other races just because of your skin color.
I'm sorry for assuming that Hispanic Latin Americans are shoddy parents just because you shop at Wal-Mart and buy beer.
I'm sorry for seeing a black person in town and thinking "Whooooa, cool!" You are a person, not a novelty item.
I'm sorry for thinking that I might date a white girl or a black guy, but a black girl would just be too weird.
I'm sorry for ogling the Asians who are out shopping for groceries.
I'm sorry for being so ignorant at age 20 that I was actually surprised to learn that South Africa had urban cities in it.
I'm sorry for referring to everyone of a darker color as "black" or "Hispanic" or "Asian" or "Native American" (or whatever other label you can think of), but failing to specify when someone is European-descended.
I'm sorry for opposing affirmative action. (I do, however, think that there are better alternatives. Though since I'm peach-toned, I could be wrong.)
I'm sorry for instinctively dissing hip-hop because it was invented by dem underedumacated black doodz.
I'm sorry for even having to use the phrase "dem underedumacated black doodz." Especially since you've probably had more schooling than I have.
I'm sorry for ignoring media by and about persons of darker color because I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to relate to it.
I'm sorry that my perception filter allows me to look at a crowd of all-peach people and fail to notice anything odd.
And finally, I am very sorry for feeling that I was superior to my (racist) dad.

I am not asking for forgiveness. I am not attempting to make reparations or whatnot. What I did was inexcusable. This is just me saying that I was a jerk, I realize that now, and I regret it and want to do better. Now I am done apologizing, and I'm going to spend my energy on more constructive things, like learning how to erase the internalized racism I'm currently dealing with and how to call it out when I see it in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment