Tuesday, October 5, 2010

RACE TRAITOR: The Point Is Not To Interpret Whiteness But To Abolish It

I just finished reading this fascinating talk on abolition. Rather than fighting racism from a white standpoint, Noel Ignatiev suggests that white people might do better to actively defect from the so-called "white race," effectively destroying the validity of white supremacy by making it a class/culture issue rather than a skin color issue. It's a fascinating idea, and it does fit with some thoughts I had also had on the subject, and particularly in light of Tim Wise's talk I believe it deserves some consideration. I admit that it appeals to me mainly because it requires so much sacrifice on the part of the white ally - there is no way to have your cake and eat it too if you follow this principle correctly. It is my feeling that I cannot possibly go wrong by taking the steps outlined, although I will have to read and find out how persons of (other) color feel about it and take their viewpoint into consideration as well.

In any case, it's a fascinating read. It's also a good litmus test for the budding anti-racist - if the idea of forgoing your white identity seems offensive or unthinkable to you, you need to keep working.

No comments:

Post a Comment